Saturday 10 August 2013

Day 9 - Trekking Day 6 (3,730)

The next couple of days should be pretty easy as the path to base camp divides neatly into two five hour treks. The first part of the day is a descent to the valley floor to cross a river and then we climb up the far side, approaching the shoulder into the base camp valley.

This second section is superb as there are not many trees here which allows the area to dry a lot more. Therefore for the first time on the expedition I am able to stretch my legs and walk at a proper pace as well as being able to see something of the scenery.








I have been the slowest in the group so far and the almost sympathetic looks from the porters as I have come into camps or rest stops have been hard to bear. Now, moving at my normal speed I am the quickest and it has been pretty satisfying to recover some pride overtaking the porters and then enjoyable to race some of the male porters up the various slopes and see the looks of surprise on their face when they can't keep up. 

As with other days, we get into camp at about 2pm and shortly after that, it starts to rain. It had also started to get quite chilly in the afternoon so now it is in sleeping bags as well as in the tents for the afternoon.

The rain continues for most of the afternoon and evening so today we have supper not just in the tents but in our sleeping bags as well. First time, I think, that I have had supper in bed - and I get quite a guilty pleasure out of it. Then an early night as usual - we will probably get up at 1am on summit day so it is quite handy to have your sleeping pattern set for such an early sleep.

Food:
Cereal and peanut butter and jam sandwiches
Instant noodle soup and sardines in spicy tomato sauce with rice

No comments:

Post a Comment