Tuesday 6 May 2014

Day 40 - Up to Camp 2

In the end I have not slept too badly but I think I have done something to my side during one of my coughing fits; I just happened to be at an odd angle at the precise time I had a very violent cough. This could be pretty disastrous but we'll see how it goes today on my trek up to 7,600.
[Whilst I would not find out until we got back to Kathmandu, it later turned out that I broke two of my ribs!]
Breakfast is a real chore but I do manage to get it all down - it's an 800kcal meal so that is a very good sign!
Morning view from the tent


Brave (if not slightly wonky!) smile for the camera
Snow slope and then ridge up to Camp 2

View back down to the North Col

Close up of North Col camp

Missing yesterday's supper has its predicted effect as I really don't feel energised today but far worse is my side. Breathing is painful although just about ok, but I am coughing a lot and this is pulling at my side each time and I am concerned as to the implications of making this any worse.

So I have to make the tough but unquestionably correct decision that pushing on for another couple of days up to 8,300 would almost certainly rule me out of any summit bid at all and thus abandon this acclimatisation rotation and with that go my hopes of climbing the highest mountain in the world without oxygen!! That is a very sad realisation for me personally but I have to remind myself that summiting Everest is still a huge challenge and I now need to do what is right for that. And that is to turn around now and focus on healing my chest and clearing up this cough in time for our summit bid.

Even on the decent back to camp I have a few racking, coughing fits and my side is decidedly more painful by the time I get in my tent - even stretching a little too far sends shooting pains up my side. I am going to rest here for today and then head back down to ABC tomorrow.

Our tents are the ones nearest to the camera and, crucially, past the point where the ice shelf above provides protection from the winds!



No comments:

Post a Comment