Wednesday 11 December 2013

Day 10 - Move to High Camp (3,800 mtrs)

Luckily the weather is as expected and at 11:45 we decide to head up. This means a quick breakfast, pack and strike camp all by our ETD of 2pm. 

Despite the fact we had a good walk yesterday, the lack of activity overall has dented my appetite and I don't eat much for breakfast. This is not advisable and I am a bit concerned that I might struggle later on in the move having run out of energy - but at the same time it should not be that big a day so losing a bit of weight (as well as that I have already lost by eating so little for the past few days) will help for the summit photos! But from now on food becomes your friend (in fact it is crucial) so I will have to eat quite a bit once we get to High Camp. 

Today's trek is about 40mins along the valley that we are in then a few hours up the steep slope to the ridge and then about an hour back along the ridge to the camp.

Coming up to the steep slope on the right to the top of the ridge
 

The slope is in fact much steeper than it looks and my pack (for some reason) is very full and heavy which makes it harder going than I had anticipated - still this is good to get both my acclimatisation and metabolism kicked into gear for the next day or so in preparation for our summit bid. It is also really hot which means that yet again, dealing with the heat rather than the cold is the order of the next few hours at least.


Rather sizeable pack!


Even at rest covering is to protect from the sun rather than against the cold

 
The views are superb and I manage to get a couple of photos in the breaks.

Back along the valley
View out over Antarctica

Before long we get to the top:

Crest of the steep slope

Even better view from higher up - and out over Antarctica
At the top of the slope we hit much colder air as well as wind whistling along the ridge and I get really quite cold (especially my hands) as I am not generating much heat at the speed the group is going at - good lesson for summit day which is likely to be pretty similar.

From the top of the steep slope we have about another hour walk along the ridge continually climbing up to the top of the ridge with a final steep curve back to the high camp plateau. Most others are pretty cold as well by the time we get to camp so it is not the most efficient camp set up ever but soon enough the tents are up and we are out of the cold and the wind - obviously now that we are no longer suffering, the wind loses interest in us and dies away.






After that it is supper and planning for the next couple of days. Tomorrow is meant to be clear and calm and the day after calm but with cloud. However today's trek has taken its toll on some people and so a rest day would be good for them. The plan is to see the updated weather forecast in the morning and see how people feel after a good night's rest. Let's see what tomorrow brings!

Annoyingly and despite little sleep last night and some good exercise today I can't seem to get to sleep. Unlike on previous trips when I have just not been tired and been fine with little sleep, I feel pretty tired and would like a good nights sleep in preparation for a potential summit day tomorrow. 

Food:

Scrambled egg and a sausage
Tortellini with tomato and salami sauce. I then have a rehydrated beef stroganoff as well as I need to catch up on my food debt over the past few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment