Monday 16 December 2013

Day 15 BC to UG

Despite not getting to sleep until late, I am up at about 08:30 for a bit of a stroll before breakfast. It is pretty cloudy which is not boosting our chances of getting back to UG but conditions improve over the course of the morning. At about 12 there appears to be agreement between here and UG that flights can go ahead to everyone's great delight. I caution that on pretty much all of my trips getting in and out of the expedition is harder than the actual climb itself - it will be interesting to see what happens here!

We pack up everything and then head out to the runway to stamp some lines into the snow and ice to help the pilots with visibility - our footprints provide a contrast against the otherwise white ground which helps pilots see the contours of the 'runway' more clearly. As we are having a quick sandwich lunch I get the inevitable bad news that I have lost my place on the plane as one of the guides needs to go with the others on the plane as this plane will connect with an early flight back to Punta so they can all get off Antarctica today. My ski trip to the South Pole doesn't start until tomorrow so there is a bit more time for me. There should (if the weather stays ok) be a second flight to UG which I and the other group will be on but that will miss the flight to PA. 

So now I am sitting in the mess tent catching up with this waiting on tender hooks to see if the second flight will make it. There is actually a pretty good supper planned (as it was quite likely that we would all still be here) but the tents are much more comfortable at UG and it would be good to have got my travelling over and get some washing done so I am fully ready when the rest of my next group arrives. 

The weather continues to improve and at about 16:30 the plane returns to take the rest of us to UG. The plane to PA has already left so the group will stay for another day and the rest of my team for the trip to the pole will be arriving on the next plane here at some point tomorrow.

No one seems to know much, if anything about that trip (itinerary, who is the guide, who else is in the group etc) which is a little surprising but all will come clear in due course. 

We have a rather good supper before heading to the tents to do a bit of organising before bed. I have got a lazy day tomorrow to shower, wash my clothes and then separate my mountaineering gear from that which I will need for the pole.  

The food at UG seems to be really rather good and although we have eaten really pretty well for a mountaineering expedition, it is going to be nice to be here for a couple of days in what can only be described as probably the most luxurious 'camp' I have ever been in or heard about!
 
Food:

Fruit salad (fresh fruit!) and porridge
Bread, cheese, salami
Pork chops and spicy sausage, salad, sour cream and a superb fresh coriander and chilli sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment